Re: Just suppose for a 2 minutes...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Just suppose for a 2 minutes...
From: rlindsay@amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 15:33:27 CDT
I write about what Garry writes about what Scott writes:

>> ...that I went mad and decided to shop for an XJ-S.

>Oh-oh, I think Scott has got a lust on.   I'd swear he's
>mentioned this before :-)

I got a monster lust-on about a year ago for an XJ-S.
I also found the cure.  I bought one!

>> Oh yeah, and of course the one key question:
>>
>> What are they like to drive?

>I drove one a year or so ago.  BIG SMILE!  Need I say
>more?  For some unknown reason I like the heavy weight
>of the car.  Plus, all that power!  The other thing I
>liked... _everyone_ looks at you.  The car is just a huge
>magnet for stares from admirers.  This is particularly
>gratifying when the stares come from attractive young
>ladies, ahem...

Yep!  The first thing that hits you is:  Hey, this isn't a
sports car.  It's a Gran Touring car.  I like it!
MORE BIG SMILE!  And hey, this thing is really quiet!
And then, WOW!!!  Did you see that BLOND?  No, no, sorry
that's not it.  It's respect for the marque.  Yea, that's
right, respect for the marque.

>> --Scott "Rather have an Aston, but an XJ-S just might
>>do" Fisher

>Go for the Aston, GO FOR THE ASTON!!!!

The Aston is probably good (see note 1).  However, the Aston,
to my eye, is not in the (visual) class with the XJ-S.  Now
as for performance, let's change the subject before I'm
completely humbled.

>Speaking of which; Aston Martin DB7 spotted... in the June
>issues of "Road & Track" and "Car and Driver", but not in
>"Motor Trend".  Ah, now here is a car with Jaguar connections!
The best of both worlds!  The car is just stunning.

>Before I die, I simply must drive an Aston Martin if I never
>get to own one.  Hmmm... how'd that jingle go?  "Have you
>driven a Ford... lately?!"  :-)

>       Happy Motoring!
>       - Garry Archer

When all else fails remember.  You can usually buy a quality
used Jaguar cheaper than you can buy a new car of about any
make.  Including the Japanese econoboxes!  My '84 XJ-S, in
catagory ~1.8 condition, cost less then 13,000 US dollars!

Zoom, zoom, zoom...

Rick

Note 1:  This is some strange usage of the word 'probably' that
I was not aware of.

     Richard O. Lindsay        /     __  __      __  __
  Senior Research Scientist   /   / /_/ /_  / / /_/ /_/
  Amoco Production Research  /   / / / /_/ /_/ / / / \
                            / /_/
                           /
My opinions are my own, until they're worth something, at
which point they become the property of my employer...