ungrounded steering column

To: BRITISH-CARS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: ungrounded steering column
From: SPEED HALLMAN <HALLMANCS@conrad.appstate.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1993 13:08:53 -0400 (EDT)
Whilst trying to get my TR-250's Clear Hooter (I have only one)
to hoot clearly again, I found that there's no continuity
between the steering column (at the steering wheel) and
ground. It IS grounded as high up as the U-joint just above
the steering rack. And I DO have the wire strap that carries
ground past the rubber blocks on the column inside the
engine compartment near the firewall.

Can the U-joint down there be nasty enough to keep current
from flowing through. Can it be dissambled and cleaned? I'd
appreciate some advice before tearing into that.

The horn hasn't worked since I got the car some years ago.
I did a quickie fix involving a push-button switch and wires
running to the horn, but I want to do it right this time.

Thanks!

Speed Hallman