Re: Decoking revisited

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, coryc@sequent.com
Subject: Re: Decoking revisited
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 93 13:42:40 -0700
* Warning: No direct BritCar connection *

Almost exactly a month ago, I posted the following:

>A year or two ago there was an extended discussion on methods of "decoking"
>engines, with an emphasis on ways to get around disassembling and scraping.
>One of the suggested methods involved spraying water into the carburettor.
>Here's a variation on that method that appeared in the newspaper:
>
>    Q: In a recent column you talked about carbon buildup.  My
>    well-cared-for 1983 Dodge Aries, now with nearly 100,000 miles, has a
>    good deal of run-over when I shut off the engine, especially if the
>    engine is hot.  What are the mechanics of adding the 50/50 water/brake
>    fluid mixture through the carburetor?  D.B., Brockport N.Y.
>
>    A: I mix them in a 16-ounce Coke bottle and then drip the mixture
>    through the air horn of the hot engine running at about 2,000 rpm for 30
>    seconds.  I dump the last half ounce in quickly and shut down the
>    engine.  I let it sit for about an hour to let the residual fluid soak
>    down the carbon.  Then I warn the neighbors that the house isn't on fire
>    and start it up.  Sometimes I have to dry the spark plugs if they've
>    become too wet.
>

>From "Auto Answers" by Bob Hagin, Pacheco Automotive News Service, as
> printed in The Oregonian, Saturday, May 1, 1993.)

Last evening I ventured to try this procedure on the Plymouth.  While I
was too timid to empty the whole pint of this slop into my carb, I did
run about three ounces in, and let it marinate while I changed the oil
and filter.  When I started it up, there was a good puff of smoke, but I
can't swear that it was liberated carbon... it could have been the brake
fluid.

I haven't noticed any immediate difference in performance, but I've only
driven it about two miles so far.

-coryc

|      >> Disclaimer: I speak for Sequent only in our hardware manuals <<      |
|                                        | "I went to college, took short-story|
| Cory R. Carpenter, Senior Tech Writer  | writing, creative writing, English  |
| Sequent Computer Systems, Incorporated | literature, all the things that     |
|  coryc@sequent.com                     | prepared me for life during the     |
|                                        | renaissance."   --Jim Croce         |