MGB back on the road

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB back on the road
From: atf@scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au (Arthur Freeman )
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 93 12:34:56 EST
My '77 roadster is now back on the road (with H1F4 SU's, and
no catalytic convertor).
The carbs seem to give conflicting results:
1. After a run, the plugs are still fairly black and sooty (suggesting
too rich a mixture), but
2. Doing the "quick" test as described in the Moss catalog (remove air
filters, raise carb pistons about one eigth inch), and the engine falters
(suggesting too lean a mixture).

I guess the next thing is to get some one who knows what they are doing
to tune the carbs.
NB Roger, I have not yet got a copy of your SU tuning article, but have
the local Unix/Net guru doing his thing to get it for me.

I finished the MG Sunday morning, and my daughter (taking a real chance,
or perhaps just faith in her father) took the car to University on Monday
morning (about 5 hour drive, since the MG will have to be run in for a bit).
Almost all was well. After the drive, it seems that the clutch does not
totally disengage the drive, since she had difficulty getting reverse.
Ah well, back to the drawing board. I will overhaul the master cylinder
this weekend.

Arthur