TR7 rad rodding.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 rad rodding.
From: gall@gamma.uleth.ca (Greg Gall)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 93 10:06:25 MDT
Hi all!

To avoid a lot of problems with TR7 rad scaling, use only good quality
coolant. Make sure the stuff is rated for aluminum and other metals that
the Triumph has (brass?). As I live North of the 49th parallel, cheap
coolant isn't something we can get away with. The climate here has been
termed a desert (yes, we have lots of cactus, rattle snakes, and
scorpions). In the summer, with day time temps getting very high, we
need the higher boiling temp of a quality glycol mixture. In the winter,
the temperature can drop to as much as -40 degrees C. This requires the
ultra-low freezing point of a good coolant, diluted to company
suggestions. Ocassionally, I have substituted straight water for coolant
during the summer when I am reassembling a car. After I am sure the car
is ok, I will fill it with proper coolant but even over such a short
period, I see a lot of crud floating in the radiator. When the quality
coolant is in the car, the crud fails to reappear.

My observation is this:
Use good coolant rated for aluminum EXCLUSIVELY on a TR7.

Many cars are manufactured with aluminum heads and cast iron
blocks these days and don't have problems with scaling. They always
cary large print warnings in the owners manuals about only using type X
(X is arbitrary) coolant with vague threats of voiding your warranty if
you ignore their advice. LISTEN TO THEM, although substitute any brand's
equivalent (its hard to get BL coolant anymore).

May your summers be overheat free!

greg.
(gall@gamma.uleth.ca)