Re: rear sway bars

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rear sway bars
From: sanders@hydra.unm.edu
Date: Fri, 28 May 1993 08:02:06 -0600
>|> Bob, if you really want to improve handling dump the rear antisway bar.
>|> Put a larger one on the front (5/8 inch) and do not put one in the
>|> rear.  According to the latest Moss catalogue, testing has shown that
>|> rear antisway bars hurt handling on chrome bumpered MGBs.

I also have seen/heard this but am not yet convinced.  I am trying it
simultaneously on my 68 and 69 MGBs.  My informal, non-track, testing was
more valid before I put the coil-overs on the 69 but I find that the rear
bar makes for a much flatter, more satisfying turn.  Shocks and springs
are new on both. I have a 3/4" bars in front of the 68 and 7/8 front, 5/8
rear on the 69. Front and rear sizes should be considered together in order
to balance the steering. Never found any of the predicted excessive oversteer.
My rear bar has the added benefit of helping to locate the rear axle. The
weight of the bar is not so much to be the major issue for its use.

John Sanders