Riley clarifications

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Riley clarifications
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 93 07:17:08 PDT
     Rileys, I thought I'd toss in my .02 worth and clarify
     a few things.
          The Riley name was first used on bicycles in the
     late 1800's. Soon thereafter a small motor designed by
     Riley was fitted and they were in the motorbike
     business. Soon after this the Riley cycle car was born,
     a trike with a single driven wheel at the rear. At this
     time the Riley name was known primarily for engine
     design & manufacture, with their most notweorthy
     customers being the ERA series racing cars and a lad
     named Donald Healey who used Riley engines in car
     called the Silverstone. Concurrent with this success
     Riley began manufacturing their own cars, with such
     names as Adelphi, Kestrel, and most notably, Imp.
          The RM series cars which has been discussed lately
     came out in 1946 with the A-series, and ended in 1955
     with the F-series. They all featured roughly the same
     flowing lines, and could be had in either Saloon, Roadster,
     or Drophead configuration. There were also a few shooting
     brakes and panel deliveries, but these were all custom.
     The engine powering these cars were either 1 1/2 liter or
     2 1/2 litre 4 cylinder dual-cam w/hemi head. One
     popular misconception about these engines is that they
     are OHC, due to their appearance, when in fact the cams
     are down low in the block, driving pushrods up, and the
     "cam" covers simply cover the rocker gear. The 2.5 also
     featured dual SUs, while the 1.5 has only a single.
          Other noteworthy features of the RM series are
     rack & pinion steering, torsion bar front suspension
     and hydro-mechanical brakes.
          If anyone is more curious please post and I'll be
     happy to pen more from any of the myriad of Riley books
     I have at home.

          cheers-
                    dstone@sc9.intel.com
                    (1948 Riley RMA Saloon, "48 Riley")