Triumph Stag? NOT For Sale?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumph Stag? NOT For Sale?
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uu.psi.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1993 15:21:58 CDT
Sorry, I've lost my list of people who wanted to know about the Triumph
Stag here in the Chicago area, so if you're not interested, please skip
this. Apologies for blasting the whole list...

Per my posting from last week, I did manage to stop by the Amoco station
that had an assortment of foreign cars parked in its forecourt. Sure enough,
one of them was a fairly well-preserved Triumph Stag. This was on a Sunday
afternoon when the proprietor was off elsewhere, but after a struggling con-
versation with the Mexican gentleman at the cash register, during which the
English language was strained to its breaking point, I believe we clarified
the following points:

1) The car belongs to his cousin

2) It is not For Sale

3) The engine runs very well, thank you

4) It is definitely not For Sale

Now, the only reason I pressed him on Points (2) and (4) above was because
the car has been sitting facing the street for some time, front and center
at the corner of the intersection, alongside one or two other sports cars
which look equally well turned-out, but not driven. The Triumph and the Fiat
next to it both have their front plates removed, although the rear plates are
in place. They whole setup looks designed to attract buyers. Basically, I
suspect that the owner would suddenly experience a change of heart with the
right amount of cash; otherwise I cannot imagine why they'd want to display
the cars so prominently.

I got a chance to inspect it close up, although I couldn't open it or run it.
It's in very good condition for a Chicago-area car, with only the slightest
hint of rust in the wheel wells showing through the white paint. If repairs
have been done, they are not obvious. It's nice and straight, with a very
good tan (leather?) interior. The odometer shows 85K, the dash has a pullout
radio installed without disfigurement, and the console reveals an automatic
transmission shifter. The removable hardtop wass installed, and looked to be
in good shape. I don't have the exact year, but it looked like a later one:
I have an idea that early models have a "split" turn signal at the front,
with separate parking and turn lamps. This one had solid amber, single-bulb
assemblies just outboard of the headlights.

If anyone wants to press this guy to make a sale, I suspect a personal visit
will be required.

                                        Cheers,
                                                Andy

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473