Re: TR7 operating temp.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR7 operating temp.
From: gall@gamma.uleth.ca (Greg Gall)
Date: Fri, 21 May 93 8:57:21 MDT
Hi dennis!

One thing that I suggest you check is what water pump you currently have
in your TR7. In '79, Triumph attempted to solve the problems of the TR7
overheating by fitting a new rad and water pump. The newer pump has
something like 12 vanes instead of only 9 (don't quote me on those
numbers!) allowing it to pump out a much higher flow. If the PO had
replaced the pump with an older style (they fit the same) or if your car
was built prior to the change, you might try replacing it. Even with an
older pump, your temp should not get to 3/4 unless you drive the car at
high RPMs or have another problem.

I would probably be suspicious firstly of the thermostat not opening
fully - try buying a GOOD name thermostat (still < $5) rated at
Triumph's proper temp. A lot of people think they are doing the car
good by buying higher temp thermostats as it keeps the spark plugs
cleaner - not adviseable! Many auto chokes are thrown out of wack when
the car operates in a different temperature range. In addition, the TR7
has aluminum connecting rods which bend easily when overheated.

If the thermostat has been ruled out, then I would probably take my
radiator to a rad shop and have it properly descaled. All it takes is a
couple of those tiny passageways to be blocked before your car runs
hotter. You can buy a rad descaling substance from most parts shops if
you haven't already used this. I believe you add it to your coolant and
run the car for a couple days before you do a coolant change. This stuff
should greatly improve the effectiveness of a flush.

Good luck in tracking the problem!

Greg.

(gall@gamma.uleth.ca) - guys thats CANADA, NOT California!