TR6 Starting Problems

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Starting Problems
From: pjk@mod.dsto.gov.au (Peter Kootsookos)
Date: Fri, 21 May 93 10:58:35 CST
Hi SOLs,

I have the following problem with my 1972 TR6 PI :

- Up until recently, the starter motor would occasionally not turn over when
  the iginition key was turned.  It only happened about one time in 15, so I
  didn't think anything of it.

- Gradually, the problem occurred more and more frequently until a couple
  of weekends ago, when the starter motor completely refused to kick (not
  even a peep from the solenoid).

- On the weekend I had a bit of a look around and, among other things, I took
  the starter motor out.  The solenoid still refuses to click/work.

- Among the `other things' I found that the red/white wire from the ignition
  switch to the (unmarked) IGN terminal on the starter motor had frayed down
  so that only two or three strands of wire were actually continuous.

  Yay, Lucas?!?!

  The fraying was not apparent until I removed a cable-tie --- it was almost
  as if someone had put the tie over the break in insulation deliberately.

I've now replaced this frayed wire, but I was wondering if anyone out there
could tell me with any degree of certainty: if I get the solenoid fixed
(or replace the whole starter motor) will this fix the problem??

I've checked the earthing/grounding strap and positive battery connector and
they seem to be fine.

Thanks in advance!

Ciao,

Peter K.

| Peter Kootsookos, CRASys Research Fellow,  | E-mail: pjk@mod.dsto.gov.au  |
| Frequency Estimation and Tracking Project, | Phone : +61 8 259 5436       |
| 89 Labs, DSTO                              | Fax   : +61 8 259 5568       |
| PO Box 1750, Salisbury 5108, AUSTRALIA     |                              |