TR6 CLUTCH WOES

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: TR6 CLUTCH WOES
From: jshoe@mlb.semi.harris.com (Jeff M. Shoemaker)
Date: Wed, 19 May 93 16:07:11 EDT
Hello ALL.
I am having more clutch problems and could use any advise on same.
Below is a synopsis of the history (as I know it).  Comments welcome.

   symptom                              fix
=============================   ======================================

bought car clutch was working.
Some slippage. 98k miles

clutch was slipping. 100k.      replaced clutch, pressure plate and throw-out,
                                sleeve, pilot, shift fork, fork cross-shaft
                                (and re-bushed bell housing).  Note : Laycock.

noisy clutch at ~105k           replaced fatigued throw-out bearing. Added
clutch 'catches' and causes     simple clutch return spring outside of bell.
driver to 'pop' the clutch

NOW: clutch noise returned and  None yet. Bearing is again bad. Pressure plate
shifting became difficult until has circular groove worn (slightly oblong) into
clutch was mostly inoperative.  it where the throw-out bearing touched.
110k miles.                     (No, I did not ride the clutch).

Side notes : 75 tr-6 with what 'appears to be a 74 tranny

Questions :
        1. ?
        2. Any distinct differences between 74 and 75 bell/tranny ?
        3. How much should T.O. bearing travel before touching the pressure
            plate?   After contact ,how much further does it push into the
            the pressure plate ?

HELP PLEASE.

        Jeff Shoemaker
        jshoe@mlb.semi.harris.com