RE: TR6 Transmission update...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 Transmission update...
From: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University)
Date: Fri, 7 May 1993 9:47:03 -0500 (CDT)
Scotty Paisley wrote:
>I did some checking around and found a J type overdrive trans (from a
>'75 TR6) for $600.  It includes all the relays and switches, and is

Doesn't the TR6 overdrive trans also require a different drive shaft?  I'm
not sure, but I thought that this was the case.  I do have a TR6 w/OD, and
I even have a spare OD unit ("guaranteed to work").

RELATED QUESTION:  Long ago, when my TR6 was in one piece and road-worthy,
I had symptoms of a slipping clutch (engine rpm increases; lag before rest
of drive train catches up).  When I got the old clutch out, it looked
rather new; but the OD elec. connections had been completely PO'd.  There
had apparently been some OD problem, but who knows what it was. Is it
possible that the slippage was occurring in the OD clutch?

>Yellow windows: My office mate had a Compact Disc that had a megga
>scratch it in.  He removed it with liquid freon, which is used to

Good stuff, but even this form of freon is no longer available.  Current
tape head cleaners are mostly isopropyl alcohol, i.e. rubbing alcohol.
Last fall, before the ban on selling freon took hold in November, I noticed
that the local parts place had CASES of the stuff out for sale.  I thought
at the time that the price was a little steep, but now I kinda wish I had
bought a case or two.

Lee M. Daniels - Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding - Texas A&M
   daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu  |  DANIELS@TAMLMSB.BITNET  |  (409) 845-3726