Discount leather?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Discount leather?
From: border@nas.nasa.gov (Ryan A. Border)
Date: Wed, 5 May 93 13:20:10 -0700
One of the things I'm doing to my Jag is a complete interior job.  I've
managed to collect a complete set of very good wood- but I'm planning on
replacing the seat covers, carpet, headliner, and misc. trim (under the
dash for example).  I am planning on changing the interior from a pale green
to tan.

What I'd really like to do is just order a complete interior kit
from ??? (Bartlets I think), but their kits for my car ('59 Mk1) cost
around 3K which is a wee bit out of my budget.  I'll probably have the
headliner done by a pro when I do the body (especially since the windshield
and rear window will be out, but I'm pretty sure that I can do
almost everything else (well my wife will be doing the sewing actually)
myself.  I may end up ordering a carpet kit too- there are a lot of
complex curves to deal with...

On to the question: It would be very nice to do the seat panels in
tan leather.  I've called a couple local upholstry supply shops and
have been quoted prices for leather on order of $600/hide.  I've also
been told that often, 1 hide/seat is required.  Well at that price
I'm looking at ~$1800 in leather alone- which seems a tad steep.

What I'm wondering is if anybody knows of a 'discount', or at least
reasonable, place to buy leather.  What about mail order?  Any other ideas?
Has anybody else out there done their own leather interior??  Any tips or
suggestions?
* Ryan A. Border               border@nas.nasa.gov,   border@craywr.cray.com  *
* Cray Research Inc., On Site Applications Analyst 415-604-4633  o__ o__      *
* Numerical Aerodynamic Simulator, NASA Ames Research Center    _.>/-.>/'_    *
* Never trust someone who can count to 1023 on their fingers.  ( ) \---\(*)...*
PS: My wife assures me that she has all the necessary equipment to sew
    leather, so that's not a problem.