wedge choke

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: wedge choke
From: MANSEMP@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU
Date: Tue, 4 May 1993 12:25 CST
I own a 1980 TR7 (5 speed).  The car is has an automatic water choke that
may be malfunctioning.  At present the car idles (?) at a mere 2200 RPM's.
In an attempt to discover the problem I have covered both the carb air
inlet holes and nothing has happened to the engine speed.  When I covered the
tube that goes from the automatic water choke to the air cleaner the RPM
will drop and the car will eventually die.  Inside that choke tube there is
what seems to be a mechanism that controls the choke.  After raising the
little mechanism the engine runs a little worse.  The only thing I have left
to try is to get the car at a normal operating temp and then cover the tube
to the auto choke and also, at a different time, cover the carb air inlet
holes.If aftercovering the choke hole the car continues to run or drops down
to a normal idle, would that indicate the choke is good?
Can I remove the choke assembly and attach a home made manual choke cable?
What is the route that the air takes after it enters the auto choke tube?

Incidentally the carbs are Zen. Str. 175s
Has anyone had a similar Zen experience?  (no pun intended)
HELP!!!
Mike
MANSEMP@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU