fuel/air mixture

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: fuel/air mixture
From: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James A. TenCate)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 92 16:14:37 -0600
Someone (I lost who) wrote:
> I have since invested in an air/fuel ratio monitor from K&N filters. It was
>very expensive(can you say....rip-off!!) about $150 or so. It is basically a
>standard production oxygen sensor that all modern cars use, coupled with a
>very basic LED bargraph display about 2" square. I'm sure the display unit has
>about $10 in parts in it and the sensors can be bought for around $50.
>Check out J.C. Whitney, they have one for much cheaper.

Edelbrock sells something very similar for just a little more ($169).  These
things ARE simple in design (as I understand it).  In fact, I set the
idle mixture on my TR8 by disconnecting the O2 sensors and hooking up
a high impedance ANALOG meter to a sensor.  I say ANALOG because the
voltage does jump around a bit and it's harder to read on a digital meter.
Still, all you have to do is tweak the mix screw on the air flow meter
(forbidden in California!) 'til the voltage is midway between a small
voltage (about 100 mV) and the other end (about 900 mV).  It's easy.
I suspect the LED monitors are just little voltmeters with LEDs instead
of a meter.  Someone should design a kit so we can all buy it and make
our own :-)  (BTW, has anyone gotten a copy of Performanace Engineering
magazine??)

Any idea what the JC Whitney one sells for?  I'd like to get one WITHOUT
the O2 sensor (seeing as I already have 2 :-) and if the price is right,
I'll bite and buy one.  Anyone done that??

jim