Re: More ColourTune Questions

To: rodb@ee.ubc.ca
Subject: Re: More ColourTune Questions
From: HERTZBERG JEAN R <hertzber@spot.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 92 18:21:52 MST

> I have a few questions about ColourTune that I should have included in
>
> 1. I believe that you can set the mixture using the flame colour.  Is there
>    any claims as to how accurate this is?  ie. Can I tune the car well
>    enough to pass emissions testing or does it just tell you when your
>    mixture is widly off?
On my 68 B, the front carb takes three flats (on the SU jet adjuster nut)
to go from a full blue color (indicating lean; CH emission only)
to a steady yellow (rich;
the soot particles are giving off black body radiation), but the back
carb does it in one flat.

> 2. I like the colortune idea because you can see how each cylinder is
>    doing independently.  Is this true in practice or does the fact that
>    colortune is a different than a spark plug mess things up? ie. that
>    cylinder doesn't burn as well throwing off engine balance.  I would
>    think it would be really usefull for multiple carbs.
It is, and I wish I had two color tunes. It would make things go much
faster.

> 3. Is it usefull for tuning at speeds other than idle or are you limited
>    to that? ie. Does the spark plug hold up under higher rpms, temps,
>    pressure etc?

You can run at any revs, but only for a short time, until the plastic
bits start to heat up too much. You do get to see the transient response,
which is nice.
> 4. I am planning to first use colortune on my VW rabbit to help me diagnose
>    a slightly erratic idle and then onto various british beasts.  Are there
>    any limitations on which vehicles it will work?  I am thinking of
>    spark plug reach in this case.

You can get adapters to make it fit other thread patterns, but the reach is
not adjustable. I have an adapter for the 289 in the Ranchero, but it doesn't
work very well because the plug is set back too far.
> Any and all comments welcome.  Thanks for your patience.  --rod.

Using the color tune after sunset or in a dark garage is much easier than
daylight open shade.

I do recommend the color tune. It's part of my standard tuning procedure
now.
-Jean H.