Jaguar reliability, was "Kinda unbelievable behaviour..."

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Jaguar reliability, was "Kinda unbelievable behaviour..."
From: scott@psy.uwa.edu.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 92 09:28:22 WST
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 92 10:24:49 CST
zrol01@trc.amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay) Writes...

Subject: Kinda unbelievable behaviour, well sorta...

>I drive an XJ-S and it is MY only means of transportation.
>It is a daily driver that gives no problems short of the
>usual kind for an 8 year old car.  I put a battery in it last
>evening.  The original one gave up after 8 years.  It was
>in the 20's (F) yesterday and the ole' bugger just gave up.
>This is the ONLY time the XJ-S has failed me - and
>one couldn't possibly blame Coventry for that problem.

For 3.5 months now I have been driving an 1982 XJ6 and so
far it has not let me down either :-)  What is more important
is that I have it's service history from about 1984 till now
and looking back through the records it has only once ever
let down a driver and stranded them that was last year when
the alternator packed it in and the battery went flat.
The next most scary event was in 1989 when the owner was
driving along, the engine stumbled and great clouds of
black smoke came billowing out the exhausts (some kind of
fuel miss-management problem I suspect :-) ...the problem
righted itself in about 10 seconds and was to never occur
again...nor to be traced by the Jag mechanics.

>My XJ6L stranded me for about 15 minutes on day until I
>winced, switched to the right fuel tank, started it up and
>went on my merry way.

If that made you wince, try this...I went to start my car
after leaving work late one night and all I hear is "click"
The battery proved to be full of charge so I get out with
my torch and give the starter-relay a tap, frob and wiggle
get in..."click"...begin to have cold sweats and worry...
20 minutes of frobbing, clicking wriggling later I notice the
car is 1/2 way between "reverse" and "park".  This being my
first auto car ever, how was I to know the thing had to be
fully engaged in "park" to start?...let alone "notice" it :-)

Live and learn.

Regards Scott. # 2
Scott Fisher [scott@psy.uwa.oz.au]  PH: Aus [61] Perth (09) Local (380 3272).

Department of Psychology                                    /      \    W + E
University of Western Australia.      Perth [32S, 116E]-->  *_.--._/      S
Nedlands, 6009.  PERTH, W.A.                                      v

Joy is a Jaguar XJ6 with a flat battery, a blown oil seal and an unsympathetic
wife, 9km outside of a small remote town, 3:15am on a cold wet winters morning.