Re: Trunnions !

To: gerry@probe.att.com
Subject: Re: Trunnions !
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 92 12:03:22 CST

Gerry writes \
\PHIL WRITES >

\>Maybe it is because the bottom end of the
\>spindle supports the car and the top one is just along for the ride.

\Are you sure about this ? -

Yes.

\I though all the weight (or most of it) would
\be resting on the TOP part of the kingpin (ie the ball-joint), and that the
\bottom one was along for the ride (and for also carrying SOME of the weight).

No. The spring/damper is attached to the lower control arm, not the upper
control arm.

\But the one good thing about the brass trunnion is that it does not corrode.
\I remove mine every year, re-lubricate then and re-install, and they are
\still as clean as the day I installed them 10 years ago.

Sounds good to me.

Bob Bownes pointed out to me that the brass is sacrificial and will prevent the
need to replace the expensive spindle.

Another thing that has occurred to me is the bearing surface is very large on a
screw thread.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman