new enthusiast needs help (paul stafford)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: new enthusiast needs help (paul stafford)
From: Paul Stafford <pauls@hpsrrjp.sr.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 92 12:36:55 -0800
 Well, I sold my airplane 6 months ago, and am in sore need
of a new toy. I have always admired- from a distance- LBCs, and have pictured
myself motoring the backroads of the wine country here; wind in my hair,
motor purring, girlfriend admiring my hardy profile, picnic basket in the
boot- you get the idea. What I need now is some help deciding which one.

  What I want is a convertible, 2 seat, reasonable amount of power and
handling, relatively easy to obtain parts, and pretty good mileage. This list
would include MGBs, Spitfires and the like( I think). It would not include
hardtops, saloons, etc. I would like to keep my initial purchase
price < $2500, and save back maybe $1500 for paint, wheels and tires to dress
it up. I have some dream images of autocross eventually, and I suppose that
ought to affect my decision somehow. I'm 6' and 210# ( I don't know how many
stone that is), so I imagine that leaves out Spridgets and similarly-sized
carlets. I would like early enough years to avoid the most obnoxious smog junk.

  I am not afraid of a project, although I'd like to start with a running,
street/smog legal car. The plane that I sold, I build over 6 years...

 I am soliciting inputs- types, desirable years, even people with cars for
sale- although my timeframe is to purchase around the first of the year.
I'll just bet that someone on this mailing list has something to say!

 Thanks for your time!

 Paul Stafford  pauls@sr.hp.com  ( 707) 577-4935 or 528-9045
 ex RV N84PS