Re: Peerless GIF

To: tj@alpine.b17a.ingr.com, british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu (SOL)
Subject: Re: Peerless GIF
From: sggy@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1992 08:02:26 -0500
T.J. Higgins scribed:
> Never having seen a Peerless, yet knowing it was built on TR3
> mechanicals, I guess I was expecting something along the lines of a
> TR3 or Swallow Doretti.  I was amazed to see how much like an Alpine
> it looked!

Pictures can play tricks- I had the same impresssion of the gif, due in
part, I think, to the grill on that one, along with the Peerless
peak along the front wing line, and the angle of the picture. (The other
grills I've seen are a simple thin horiziontal & vertical chrome strip,
with a big "P" where they join). In person, and other pictures, I've
never had an Alpine/TIger impression. The Peerless is much wider, taller,
and rounder.

> It would be very
> interesting (to me, anyway) to see a Peerless and Alpine side by side.

Well, one friend has a Tiger, and another has just aquired an Alpine
project + parts car (including 2 fresh 1275 heads..), so I may be
able to make a picture in 2-4 years, after the Peerless becomes real.
(But, that shouldn't stop you from driving up to the SLCFWSC's)

If I can't locate a friendly colour scanner soon, I'll post some B&W
gifs soon.
--------
One other detail, for those of you looking at the picture of the LeMans
car in the Oct. T&C Cars- while it does now have a MK2 front end, it
did indeed have the standard MK1 bodywork when it finished 16th in
1958.

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!