my "new" TR-6

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: my "new" TR-6
From: vanmatre@nprdc.navy.mil (Nick Van Matre)
Date: 10 November 1992 0747-PST (Tuesday)
Been reading the digest; decided to post.  Two months ago, I
got a '72 TR-6, speedo shows 68,000 miles, (paid $4,100 in
San Diego).  Good running condition,
but in the haste of the purchase, I didn't see the many little
things wrong, like, almost no lights working, door glass seals and
glazing missing, cheap carpeting, no inside panels in the foot wells,
broken front turn signal lens, no keys for door/trunk/glove box, etc...
I DID see that there was no installed glove box.  (Two previous
owners obtained a replacement glove box, and left it for me to install.

So, I called Moss Motors, and about $600 later I got a big box of
parts--I couldn't resist replacing the front grill (gee, they had
a sale price--I saved $20) and the polished wheel rings.

I did take the car to a local Brit mechanic, who pronounced the car
whole and said it looked like I got a pretty good deal.  (Locally,
in the past 18 months TR-6's prices have really jumped.  What you
used to get for about $3,500 is now $5,000.  It seems the exporters
have swept through Calif and Ariz and bought up good TR's and sent
them back to England, and to Australia, interestingly enough...)

Last weekend I played (worked) on my TR; LOVE IT! Replacing every rusted
(or missing) little screw is exciting.  I now know why the previous
owners left replacing the glove box to me; it is a bitch.  But it is
in.

Questions: The Roadster Factory--alleged to be a parts source.  Are
they so good they don't have to send out catalogues?  After 6 calls, I
still haven't received a catalogue or price list.  (Moss Motors got me
a catalogue and price list in 24 hours!)

My TR does have the typical rear end squat on acceleration.  What is the
typical, and preferably easy, remedy?

God, I love the sound of that little engine.
My 18 year old daughter took it for a spin and came back two hours later
and said SHE loves it.  The reason?  She said every time she stopped
(we live in a beach area), "boys" would come bounding up to her to talk
about the car!

Nick
vanmatre@nprdc.navy.mil