Triumph Emissions tuning?

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Triumph Emissions tuning?
From: kristian@cs.uchicago.edu
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 92 00:29:56 CST
        I am going to be helping a friend get his '75 spit  passed
the Illinios smog test.  He failed last time for too much CO.
I am not a smog expert and would like some advice.  Here is his
set-up:

        - original stromberg
        - headers
        - frozen air pump
        - some stuff hacked up for headers.

        Apparently they tied off some vacuum hoses and took of the
EGR when the **garage** put in the headers.  (He is not incredibly
technically inclined, but I plan to show him what I know for future
repairs.)  I haven't seen the job yet, but I imagine they have botched
some vacuum lines, disconnected the EGR, and air injection rail.

        What I want to know is what are the causes of too much CO?
Too rich? What are the usual fixes?  Is there any way to test the
CO in your backyard?  i.e. some kind of MacGuyver trick with clorine
and a strip of paper or something.

        Thanks for any help.  We are going to apply colortune and
an ear to set mixture and we are also going to see if we can get
the retard vaccuum  line set-up properly.

Kristian

Insurance paid off on the Raccoon damamge to the convertible top - a
whopping $375!

----- End Included Message -----