Stands and Jacks

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Car List)
Subject: Stands and Jacks
From: gavin@csis.dit.csiro.au
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 92 15:37:51 EST
Hello
  I'm doing a diff swap this weekend so I thought it'd be a good idea to get
hold of some axle stands an a trolley jack.  My question is which ones are
best.  Stands are generally screw, pin or lever types with top heights from 40
to 50cm.  Also it'd be nice to be able to get attachments so that these can
support the body from the jack points rather than the axles.

  Jacks range from 1500kg ones form Kmart to 2250kg workshop ones.  I'd
naturally like to keep prices down but I'll buy for quality and usefulness.
Virtually anything would probably be fine for the '78 corolla (950kg) I'm
working on.  When I get the Rover 3500 SE next year it might be different.

  Hope you can help.
                        Thanks
--
gavin.walker@csis.dit.csiro.au             Computer Scientist
CSIRO Division of Information Technology   Spatial Decision Support Systems