Lucas carbide lamp

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Lucas carbide lamp
From: hill@eecs.ucdavis.edu (Rich Hill)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 92 12:06:33 -0700
I managed to come across a carbide lamp that was made by Lucas (said "Jos
Lucas" and "Birmingham" all over it and had that neat little logo that is
on the older lucas parts).

Anybody know how old these things are?  This one had no front glass - although
it looked like it once did, it had some small colored pieces of glass in the
sides and some sort of adjustable spring mount on the back.  It looked much
more complicated than the typical miner's lamps that are in most
antique stores.  Pretty neat little gizmo - too bad the price was a little
steep....

BTW does anyone have a general history of the Lucas company.  I saw one once
but I can't remember where.  I'm looking for when it was founded, what they
originally made (lighting devices is my guess!), etc.

thanks,

Rich Hill