Re: Prentice, Spitfire stopping

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Prentice, Spitfire stopping
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 92 10:29:17 -0600
First, let me point out something about Hardy Prentice, for those
of you that might have missed the significance of a couple of
sentences in Greg's note:

    Hardy Prentice, is a unique individual [...]  He has been going to
    Atlanta forever
    ^^^^^^^

    Although he lives in California [...] he used to flat tow his TR-3
                         ^^^^^^^^^^
    behind his Jag E-type.

This has ALWAYS impressed me, and is one of the reason I was thinking
I could tow a Spitfire behind my TR250 to Seattle, a mere 900 & some miles.
But I did just buy a 1966 Chevy pickup, which may become the official
Fat Chance tow vehicle.  Gee, a '66 6 cylinder, wonder if I'll have a
devil of a time with it?

As for the late model Spitfire stopping suddenly, yes, it could be the
electronic ignition module, assuming all else seems in order.  The
symptoms seem to be the motor just quitting at random times, with no
respect for load, temperature, fuel or the time of day.  And then some
random amount of tie later, between 5 and 30 minutes or so, it will start
right up and run again.  One can replace it with the Allision, er, Crane
electronic system, or get a Mallory dual point distributor that fits, and
go that route.

mjb.