Re: steering "clunk"

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: steering "clunk"
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1992 14:34:36 CDT
Roland Dudley (cobra@cdc.hp.com) writes:
> One thing I've noticed is that the steering has what I would call a
> "clunk" in it.  It's not something that's noticeable while driving but I
> hear and feel it when I pull out of the driveway or make a slow speed
> full-lock turn.

Gee, I'd suspect loosey-goosey ball joints, not rack-and-pinion problems.
Your description matches perfectly what a couple of my cars did before I
fixed the ball joints. It was easy to produce the clunk whenever I backed
out of our garage. As the front end backed off the flat garage floor onto
the rather steep little ramp, the loose ball joint allowed the front wheel
to move from its "slop-forward" position to its "slop-rearward" position
(i.e. it tried to roll down the ramp faster than the car), and the loud,
singular "clunk" was heard.

-- Andy