Re: 1974 MG Midget - Paint

To: Glenn Stauffer <stauffer@cc.swarthmore.edu>, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1974 MG Midget - Paint
From: sggy@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1992 08:57:31 -0400
Glenn Stauffer scribed:
 Subject: 1974 MG Midget - Paint
> I'm hoping to find someone who has done a Midget right or has the fortune
> to have worked on one that was untouched since the factory.

I can help, but no guarentees, as things did change through the years.
I do have a '79 Which is still in original paint.  If you're trying
for concours details tho, you ought to get the available books,
and go to a bunch of shows.

> - engine block

Is this a 1275? If so, Moss sells a Midget green (dark olive) and and
Austin Healey green (lighter, some metalic). A-series Midgets/Sprites
could be either colour. (948, 1098, 1275)

> - engine compartment

body colour, almost all cars.

> - underside: wheel arches, frame, etc.
> - passenger compartment (body color, right?)

Body colour, except where undercoated.

> - running gear (rear axle, front axles, etc.)

Black, if at all. The rear end on my '64 B definitly was originally
black, I'm not sure if trannys were painted or not.

> I'd be overjoyed to find someone who's restored a Midget and could field
> questions about good parts suppliers and nasty stuff like rebuilding sills
> and front posts - looks like mine need serious work.

get yourself the suppliers list off the british-cars file server, and
look in Hemmings, British Car, and other magazines for sources.

The Pratical Classics Sprite/Midget restoration book, for one, is an
excellent source of how to, for both purchased panels, and bang-em yerself.

This is a couple years old, but should be valid:
Pratical Classics Restoration series:
1930's (Standard Swallow Big Nine, coachwork), Spitfire, MGB, Mini Cooper,
Triumph Herald/Vitesse, Midget/Sprite, Morris Minor, Land Rover, Austin A40
(the "newer" variety), MK2 Jaguar, Sunbeam Rapier, and Metal Working.
(lbs.) 5.50-6.95

They also have a "mini series" (shorter, cheaper books) which include:
Austin Healey, Guide to the Jaguar Engine, Ford 100E Renovation,
Rover P4 Mechanics, TR 7 Restoration, TR4A Restoration, Austin Seven,
Reliant Scimitar Restoration, Buying a Classic Mercedes-Benz, Panel Beating,
(as opposed to just plain beating on your car), and Morgan -Buying &
Restoration. (lbs.) 2.90-3.50

Pratical Classics and Car Restorer
        Pratical Classics
        Kelsey House
        77 High St.
        Beckenham, Kent  BR3 1AN
For:            Attn:
Big Books       Book Offers
Mini Books      Mini Books

USA Subscriptions-      $44.00 "airlifted" (may be less if not?)   Contact:
   Eric Walter Assc., P.O. Box 188, Berkeley Hts, N.J. 07922   (201) 665-7814
or   Don Scott, 4281 Scott Way, Calistoga, CA. 94515   (707) 942-0546
Several of the bigger books are available in the US from Classic Motorbooks,
or by direct post (add (lb) 1 for each book) from pratical classics.
Visa OK, but no phone # listed. Get a copy from your local British car
magazine distributer.
        They have recently done a Stag restoration, an E-Type, MGB
 new-body-shell rebuild.

Classic Motorbooks  (Free 100 page cataglogue, takes a few weeks)
P.O. Box 1          (Overwhelming selection of books.)
Osceola, WI 54020
1-800-826-6600
I don't think I've seen these advertized in Classic Motorbooks lately-
are any US sources listing them these days???

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!