Thermostatic confusion

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Thermostatic confusion
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 92 12:13:31 PDT
     With all this talk about thermostats and cooling
     capacity coming at the time I'm rebuilding the Riley's
     water pump, (still going !), I thought to toss in
     something I just noticed and thought a bit odd;

     -The original thermostat on this car did not restrict
     the water flow at all when cold, rather it allowed a portion
     of the water to return to the pump housing. As the
     water warmed up, the bellows expanded, pushing a "hat"
     upward, cutting off this return loop and allowing the
     water to only circulate in one loop. Unfortunately the
     TC thermostat operates differently, restricting the
     water when cold, allowing it to pass when warm, and
     allowing it to pass thru the bypass all the time. We'll
     have to see how well this works. The Riley Owner's
     Club suggests fabricating a copper restriction plate to
     place between the bypass tube & thermostat housing to
     aid the water flow. Has anyone else ever seen a system
     operate like this ? (by design ;-)

     -Water pump update; fiddled with it most of the
     weekend, managed to get all of the parts (with
     exception of the housing which is still at the
     welders), stripped, etched, primed & painted, when a
     case of shipwright's disease overtook me and I began
     disassembling other various unrelated components to
     clean & check them. Managed to get the far side engine
     side panel off for better access to the oil cannister,
     carb & fuel pump. R & R'd the drain petcocks, removed
     the PO-installed heater hoses, correctly routed the
     fuel pump line and temp sending unit, .....

     Hey, it's starting to look proper !!

          mo' later-
                    dstone@sc9.intel.com