TR6 bizarre sized rear hub adjuster

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: TR6 bizarre sized rear hub adjuster
From: ian@Centric.COM (Ian Macky)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 92 16:11:05 PDT
Arrgh!  I just re-measured the adjuster/locknuts with my best caliper and
lo!, the damn nuts are 2.05" - 2.06" big, not 2.00".

I thought I had a plan: get the SnapOn 4-way wrench in 2" (~$90), the one
with two open-ended heads, one at 30, one at 60 degrees.  Cut it in half.
Grind/mill one head down to 7/16" thickness, leave the other as is.

Voila, done...     but no.   I called SnapOn and had someone measure their
wrench: it's 2.008".

I suppose I could go ahead with the above plan and shave down the (mildly
deformed) nuts to match, but if I'm gonna spend $$ on tools I'd want the
right ones for the job, not somethat that will require modifying the nuts
each time...

Alternately, I could also have the wrench heads widened too, but that's going
to be yet harder and all the machining is going to get expensive.

...mumble bitch gritch...

The British repair place in PA says they can do the adjustment (probably)
for 1/2-hour labor charge, so it looks like I'll be dropping it off tomorrow.

--ian