Re: Spitfire 1500 Clutch Help Needed

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 Clutch Help Needed
From: totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 92 12:44:38 CDT
> While dropping in a replacement gearbox into my 1980 Spitfire, I
> decided to replace the clutch plate as well.  I finally got the tranny
> all bolted back up (quite painfully), and wanted to test it before I
> went any further.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not convinced the clutch is working now :-(

        How accurately does the clutch release lever need to be aligned?

        The 1975 bellhousing that I got with my used 1975 gearbox had a bolt
        for the pivot of the release arm.  I believe this should have been
        a pin.  Perhaps someone drilled out the hole and put a bolt in as
        a replacement sometime in the past?  If so, could this have affected
        the alignment enough to cause my clutch to fail?  Should I look for
        another used bellhousing with a pin on the release arm?

        Also, what is different between 1975 and 1980 Spitfire bellhousings?
        I heard there was some form of oil seal difference.  What would I
        need to do if I wanted to use my 1980 bellhousing/clutch release
        mechanism with my used 1975 gearbox?  Since my clutch worked before
        I pulled out my gearbox, using my old clutch release mechanism might
        eliminate one of the variables...

                                                Thanks For The Help!

                                                --- Brian

   /                       Brian Totty             o o
  /__  __  o     Department of Computer Science     o
 /  / /   /          1304 W. Springfield Ave       \_/  "We have corn in
/__/ /   /               Urbana, IL 61801                Massachusetts too!"
                        totty@cs.uiuc.edu