exhaust attachment

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: exhaust attachment
From: Scott Alexander <salex@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 92 11:50:58 PDT
My exhaust system is in need of replacement.  I'd been planning to take it
to the mechanic since I don't have any welding gear and suspect the neighbors
at my apartment complex might finally reach their limit if I started welding
in the carport.  In talking to the mechanic, he said that he always
clamped the exhaust rather than welding it.  Is this a reasonable
technique?  If so, should I just go ahead and do it myself or is there any
reason to entrust it to the mechanic.

Also, while I'm at it, does anyone have any good suggestions on the right
tool for tightening the nuts that hold the headpipe (or whatever the
proper name is) to the exhaust manifold?  The three front ones I can
get pretty easily.  One of the back ones isn't too bad.  The other two
keep loosening up, though.

Thanks,
Scott Alexander
salex@devvax.jpl.nasa.gov