Re: parts registration???!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: parts registration???!
From: barry@remedy.com
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 92 12:01:22 PDT
>On the way to work this morning, NPR had a short blerb on an anti carjacking
>bill that is being ramrodded (hot rodded?...) through congress.  In passing
>they noted that the bill also had some sort of parts tracking or registration
>provision as well...
>
>Has anyone out there in netland been following this bill, and understand
>what these provisions involve?  As most LBC owners seem to end up being
>car ghouls at one time or another, is this going to create major hassles in
>procuring used parts or will it prevent someone from boning out a car on their
>own?

Our local paper (SF Chron - usually about as unreliable as a Lancia Scorpian)
recently ran a detailed article about this bill, which I scanned.  The bill
only applies to new cars, so it doesn't sound like something we LBC owners
need to worry about.

As I remember it, the bill requires all new cars to have a unique ID number on
all major components, so if a car is stolen and parted out, the parts can be
1) detected as parts from a stripped car, not a replacement part and 2) tracked
to the original car.  The second reason strikes me as odd - I can just imagine
the phone call.  "Mr Klawans?  You will be glad to know we have recovered one
of the hubcaps from your car."  What a comfort.

Of course, the car makers are complaining about the cost of stamping a number
onto all the parts.  For once, I agree with them.

-Barry