Starters, Solenoids and Such

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Starters, Solenoids and Such
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1992 16:30:54 -0700

Well I posted on Friday about a lovely starting problem I had Friday
morning trying to get to work. Having to push start the car is a real
joy (NOT!), this was done going to and leaving work. Atleast it was not
the usual 105+ degree weather here in Phoenix.

At lunch a friend of mine took me down to the local parts house to get a
solenoid, hoping for the best that it was the solenoid that was bad. Well they
sold me something that looked like a solenoid, but it did not look
"exactly" like the one I thought was on the car, but I took it anyway
again hoping for the best. It was indeed the INCORRECT solenoid for the
car. So I call them back after I have taken the old starter and solenoid
out and mangled the old solenoid (I wanted to find out what  made
them tick and see if I could maybe fix what was broken as I had an
incorrect solenoid anyways.) They can not find the absolute correct part
for the car. The one they sold me was for a MGA and not a B at all.

Well they tell me bring the old one in and the new one for credit, and
they would try to match it with pictures from the parts book. Well we
look for over an hour and finally I find one that looks very similar. It
fits a Lucas M50 starter, the starter I have is a M100 Lucas starter.
But what the heck lets see if it will work, well it was the only one
they did not have in stock. So I end up with a brand new starter and
solenoid. The car starts a lot quieter and quicker now.

So I guess the moral of the story here is I was supposed to replace both
the starter and solenoid. I just didn't want to have to spend the extra
cash on the starter piece of the pair.

Bruce...

BTW one place I called looking for the solenoid quoted me a price for
the solenoid that was more expensive than the starter and solenoid
combined as a whole unit. Has anyone else ever experienced this?