Re: Curious problem with midget suspension

To: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CC.UTAH.EDU
Subject: Re: Curious problem with midget suspension
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 92 8:29:02 CDT
Dean_Zywicki writes >

>The lean to the drivers side
>returned.  I have to feel the problem is in the front.  There is about a
>1 inch difference from the drivers to passengers side.

To be sure if it is front or rear:  Get the car settled by rocking & rolling
it. (Spridgets seem to like the Dave Clark Five.) Put a floor jack under the
differential.  Get the rear tires just off the floor.  Check to see if it
leans.  If so, it is the front.  Now, get the floor jack on the exact
centerline of the front crossmember, lift the front wheels and check the rear
for leaning.

>Since the shock is the upper control arm, can this
>make a difference in the height ?

No.  The shock is along for the ride, height-wise.

The ride height will be affected by:

the LOWER control arm:  Not likely unless it is really bent.

the lower spring perch:  This is mounted on the lower control arm.  Nothing
much can go wrong with it.  Winner's Circle sells adjustable ones, so you can
tune this height to set your corner weights.  This is a little more hip than
you need on a street machine.  If you did want to lower one side, you could put
spacers between the spring perch and the lower control arm.

the upper spring perch:  Not likely, as it is a pretty substantial part of the
monocoque.

The coil spring:  Most likely suspect  These are easy and safe to remove if you
have four long full-threaded bolts to replace the bolts that hold in the lower
spring perch.  The spring fits through the lower control arm so you just
support car and wheel hub, then replace the bolts one at a time, then loosen
the bolts evenly, and the spring comes right out without dustrubing the rest of
the suspension.  (Wish it was this easy in the Lotus.)  Then you can have a
spring shop check them to see if they are the same.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
"Some of them drive little sports cars" -Jethro Tull