RE: Cassette player static-2nd try

To: Geronimo x54903 page 951-3432 <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>,
Subject: RE: Cassette player static-2nd try
From: lupienj@hpwarq.wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 92 13:16:31 EDT
> The bigger the cap the better (number of uF's) the filtering,

In general true, but there are practical limits in both size
and inductance - the big caps start to look a little like an RLC
circuit.

> if you
> do use a large one, just make sure the terminals are covered and a bleed off
> resistor is installed across the +/- cap terminals (~15K, 1 watt will do), to
> prevent accidental discharge, which can burn you.

If you have a bleed resistor across the terminals, make sure that the supply
line is switched - if the supply does not switch off, it's the battery you'll
be bleeding...

> -Since my stereo and amp draw about 10 amps total, I connect the hot directly
> to the battery.

Yeah, like this, for instance. In this case you would have to make sure that
the bleed resistor (and cap) comes after the power switch for the stereo.

--
---
John R. Lupien