Spitfire 1500 Transmission ...

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Spitfire 1500 Transmission ...
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 92 09:14:03 EDT
Mike Burdick writes:
 > I have used a "hard" drift to do this.  If you are going to replace the
 > bearing anyway (you might as well since it's out) it won't matter if you
 > mar it.  Be careful not to drift into the case though.  Say Al, do you think
 > that's why they call it a "drift"?

Actually, large sockets make great drifts.  I used a 36mm socket to
drive the flange onto my rear differential shaft.  Worked like a
charm.  As for why they are call drifts...  Its because if your mind
drifts, so will the drift...  Which can be a real bummer...
---
-Scott

I let my past go too fast,
No time to pause -- If I could slow it all down.                        -Rush