Fast LBCs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Fast LBCs
From: william sadler <wsadler@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1992 10:42:37 -0500
I have to second TJ here.  The MGC is about the cheapest $$$/bhp ratio
around right now.  A fully restored one will come in around $10K while
good examples can be had for $4k-$7k.  I doubt that this trend will
continue for long.  A MGC can also accomodate a Rover V8 if you are
looking for some real go.

The only problem with the C is the low gear ratio in the rear diff.
If you get one, make sure you get a later model with the 3.7
diff (I think that's right-- could be wrong)  At any rate, the diff
on the 69 roadsters w/ overdrive was different than on the earlier cars
and the ones with automatic transmissions (revs were too high for it).

There are some simple things to do to the engine, basically called
a "Downton" conversion after the place that did them originally, that
increase the horsepower and improve handling.  Specifically-- new
manifold and 3 SUs instead of 2, anti-sway bar, panhard, SPAX shocks,
piston overbore (up to .060 is available) as well as some other stuff.

Will
c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c
c  _    _   ___    ___           Ceeasaurus!                      c
c | \  / | /   \  /   \  Will    | wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu c
c |  \/  ||   __ |       Sadler  | or will@cica.indiana.edu       c
c |      | \___/  \___/       Bloomington, Indiana                c
c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c