Play in steering wheel

To: barbara@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: Play in steering wheel
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1992 16:54:53 -0700

Barbara Holder scribed:>
> I recently purchased a '68 MGB and there is some play in
> the steering wheel (about 1/2 inch). Is this normal? Its
> a little annoying.

> Thank you,
> Barbara

I think not. When I had that kind of play in my front-end I ended up
rebuilding the front-end of the car (ie.. kingpins, bushes etc...) it
made a world of difference. Moss carries a kit that will allow you to
replace all of this much cheaper than if you buy the parts seperately.

Also the tie-rod ends could be bad.

Has anyone jacked the car up and tried to check for play in the top to
bottom of the front wheels?

I don't know but you may also have a rack that is worn or broken also. I
do not have experience in this, so I will let someone who does answer
that part.

All in all, after I repaired the front-end of the car, there was
absolutely no play in the steering at all.

Mileage may vary, and I am by NO means an expert and there are a lot of
them on this list ( EXPERTS taht is). It was once said if it's broke and
you ask the list they can most likely set you on the right path to
getting it fixed.

Bruce...

"I value little my own opinions, but value just as little those of others."
                                                                -- Montaigne