shock oil

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: shock oil
From: "David Brady" <david_brady@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 17 Sep 92 13:11:05 U
   shock oil
After a couple of attempts I finally arrived at a spring rate that
I am satisfied with on the back of my TR250.  I had springs custom
made with a spring rate of 550lbs/in.  Now I'm trying to match the
stock lever-arm shocks with the higher spring rate. I drained the
fluid on the shocks and refilled them with 30W motorcycle fork oil
but the fork oil was not significantly thicker than the original
shock fluid and the dampening has not changed appreciably.

Unfortunately, 30W is the thickest fork oil I can find.  My
competition preparation manual says to use #40 racing oil.  I assume
they mean motor oil but am not sure.  Any suggestions on thicker shock
or fork oil?  Or any suggestions on stiffening lever-type shocks
in general.

Dave Brady
dbrady@synoptics.com