Knock-off hubs revisited

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Knock-off hubs revisited
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 92 9:52:40 CDT
Roland writes >

>On my snake both right-side hubs have left-hand threads.  I assume
>that's standard for Brit car knock-offs.

Yes and no.

That is standard for the Rudge system of splined hubs commonly used on wire
wheels on AC, Jaguar, MG, Triumph and the like.

The threads on pin-drive knock-offs seem to run the other way.  Lotus Elan is
an example of this, and I would not be surprised if the steel-wheel MGA Twin
Cam was the same way.

Whatever the system, I just look at the hub cap.  If it says "left" on it, and
it fits on the left side of the car, I figure I am OK.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman