MGA info needed

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: MGA info needed
From: sbender@dsd.es.com (Steve Bender)
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 92 17:00:36 MDT
OK you MGA types... maybe you can help me with this:

I have a work acquaintance who recently bought an MGA 1600 and has
a few questions:

1.  What is the correct fluid for the gearbox?... 90wt Hypoid gear
    oil or 30wt non-detergent engine oil or ?.

2.  What is the preferred Engine lube?... Castrol 20w50?

3.  Are the rear brake cylinders readily rebuilt (are they cast
    iron or are they cast aluminum) and if yes, do they need one
    of those unusually small hones?

4.  Should the (break) pedal be really hard or should it be a teense
    'squishy'?

5.  How is the turn signal supposed to operate?

6.  The car is in a mostly good state of a neglected restoration process.
    Are there any things that should be closely scrutinized prior to having
    it put back on the road?

Many thanks!

-Steve-