Rolling roads (dynos)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Rolling roads (dynos)
From: jeffreys_m_j@bt-web.bt.co.uk
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1992 11:41:15 +0100
From:   NAME: Mike Jeffreys         [DAT31 ]
        FUNC: DAT31
        TEL: 0473-645609                      <JEFFREYS M J AT WEB AT WEBCS>
To:     british-cars@autox.team.net@unet

I have put various cars on dynos for tuning and power output purposes. The
power figures quoted are obviously "at the wheels" and then the people in
the know(?) say that transmission losses are 20 to 30 %. Therefore, if the
at wheels power is 100bhp, the engine power is 120-130 bhp. Now this is
where I get confused, if I now put in a new engine that gives 200 bhp why
has the transmission loss (20 or 30%) doubled, especially if the
transmission system is the same? My feelings on this are that transmission
losses vary more with revolutions rather than power transmitted.

Is there anyone who knows how power train losses occur, and what are the
acting parameters?