Radiator rebuilds vs. recores

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Radiator rebuilds vs. recores
From: "Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 92 08:30:50 PDT
>Lydia asks:

>Why is it better to have a radiator rotted out (or rodded out, as
>someone pointed out) than to simply have it recored?  Is it really much
>cheaper?

     I'd have to say mostly cheaper. I checked into both
     when I upgraded the Sprite's cooling system, and this
     is what I found;

     Rebuild the original vertical flow            = ~ $50-60
     Rebuild the crossflow                         = ~ $90
     Recore the crossflow with a denser 3 row core = $140

     So I guess it depends on your budget and the desired
     result. For me the choice was easy, as I wanted max
     cooling capacity. The next step up was the
     Austin-Healey Store's custom alloy radiator, but at
     > $500 that was a big out of budget.

          cheers-
                 dstone@sc9.intel.com