Backfiring

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Backfiring
From: gerry@probe.att.com
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 92 10:38 EDT
ROGER writes ::::

> Standard mixture rule: (Murphy aside)
> Backfiring on acceleration is usually due to running lean. (carb spits)
> Backfiring on decelleration is usually due to running rich. (boom in
> exhaust becomes more apparent with low restriction mufflers.)

Are you sure ? I always thought the same, however I have noticed on 2
different cars (both with Webers), that if I lean the miixture,
(using the mixture screw and not by chnaging jets), then or decelleration,
the engine backfires starts to backfire (especially on long downhill
descends. If I lean out the mixture even more the backfiring gets worse.
However I also notice that on very hard accelleration, the engine misfires
slightly.

So now I am all confused !!! -

Gerry