transmission advice please

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: transmission advice please
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 92 13:14:39 -0400
        I am in the process of putting my spit driveline back into some sort
of working condition [looks like the Spit/GT6 conversion is on hold again :-(].
I took apart the gearbox to replace the speedo drive gear.  What a job this has
turned into!  I thought I could be clever and replace the gear without draining
the transmission - WRONG!  There is oil everywhere now ...  My question is what
part of the transmission is bad if the thing made a grumbling noise in first
gear?
It is a late Spitfire box.  It was shifting pretty well when I took it out.
The reason
I ask is that I'd like to get it back together on the cheap as I only want to
use
it for a 1/2 year or so.  Can anybody with more experience guide me here?
British
Victoria sells a trans overhaul kit (180.00 bucks!) which is supposed to be
everything
needed in a rebuild.  I'd hate to spend that much. Is there a single part I can
replace
to cure the noise, or do I have to do a full rebuild?
woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu