Ford Bails Out of A.C. Cars

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Ford Bails Out of A.C. Cars
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 92 09:57:44 pdt
I'm sure most of you are aware of Ford's interest in Jaguar but how many
of you know that Ford also owned a 50% interest in A.C.  Cars Ltd.  I
say did because Ford recently relinquished this interest.  I believe
relinquish is the correct term because my impression is that no money
was involved.  Here is a quote form the July 1992 edition of ACTION, the
A. C. Owners' Club newsletter:

   It is rear for this column to carry news of any significance but Brian
  Angliss of A.C.  Cars Ltd has provided just such an opportunity.  An
  agreement between Ford Motor Company and Brian Angliss has been
  reached whereby the latter has acquired Ford's 50% interest in A.C.
  Cars resulting in Ford withdrawing their application for the company
  to be wound up.  Part of Ford's press release contains the following:

    "Development and production of the Ace sports car which uses a Ford
     engine and four wheel drive transmission will be actively pursued
     in the company's purpose built facility on the Brooklands
     Industrial Park at Weybridge, Surrey."

  Congratulations to Brian and A.C.  upon regaining their independence.
  Yet another chapter opens in the history of our marque.

Brian Angliss has been building a limited number of Ford V8 powered cars
based on the coil-sprung (427 Cobra) chassis for a number of years.
This car has been variously known as the A.C.  Mark IV and the Mark IV
Cobra (much to Carroll Shelby's disgust).  The current version is