rear springs

To: dbrady@synoptics.COM
Subject: rear springs
From: rgb@hal.com (Roger Bolick)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 92 10:03:10 CDT
I have a theory on the rear springs for the 250/early 6.

I ordered the heavy duty version (not supposed to effect
the ride - ha, ha) from TRF.  Like yours the car sat wrong
and handled incorrectly.  Upon investigation I realized that
Moss, etc. warn that their springs are for '71 1/2 - '76 TR6
ONLY.  I am not sure about the 250, but the early 6's have
a slightly different spring setup.  I purchased all the parts
to redo the back to the later model standard, but my latest
idea is to take the old sagging springs from my late '71 and put
them on the '70, my guess is the car will sit and drive correctly.

There are likely many free sets of used springs from all the
later 6's which would be perfect, but I have yet to test this
theory.  I contacted TRF several times and even have Fax's
with their comments... I think they have a real problem here.
As good as they are on evereything else, as this is a potential
liability question, I am really surprized that no attention has
been paid to this issue.

Dana, see its not just me, this is the 3rd complaint of spring
problems on 250/early TR6 I've heard of.  Someone that understands
this issue should investigate the original rates/heights.

My question to you is "did the heavy duty bushing make any
difference?"  I'm in the process of doing the above this week.

Thanks,
Roger