What are my rights?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: What are my rights?
From: paulg@cme.nist.gov (Paul Gilders)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 92 13:03:24 EDT
Hi folks,

        Just thought I might be able to get some advice about a problem with
my newly purchased MGB. I only bought it last week, but took it out over the
weekend only to have the petrol pump fail on me (160 miles away from home).
Anyway, a new petrol pump was fitted to the vehicle about 2 weeks ago
by the previous owner - he has given me all the receipts for the work he
had done on the car. If this pump is faulty or the fitting is poor, then am
I obliged to claim from the supplier (and fitter) the extra costs I have
incurred by the garage currently undertaking the repair? What are my rights
in this situation? My MG garage has said they will replace the pump for
free (if faulty), but surely I should be able to claim for the extra
costs of fitting and investigation undertaken by the remote garage.

        Any advice would be appreciated.

        Thanks

        Paul.