Bought the E-type

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Bought the E-type
From: zahid@serval.sps.mot.com (Zahid Ahsanullah)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 92 17:44:30 CDT
Well I did it, I went to Dallas last
weekend and bought an immaculate 1968 series 1.5
4.2 litres E-type. The financing is being processed
at the moment and I will go back this Friday to drive
it back. This will also give the owner time to clean out the
the gas tank which is causing car to miss at idle. The car is
beautiful inside out and underneath and the owner being an enthusiast
from Britain has restored the car to original specs. His driveway at
his mammoth north Dallas home is filled with exotics including
an AC Ace in concourse condition. I can't say how pleased I am
with this purchase and from a guy that know his stuff.
I do have a question though, I'm not too terribly familiar with
E-types so I'm wary of driving it back approximately 220 miles
in 105 degrees daytime temperatures to Austin. I know they overheat because
my dad used to own a couple of these when I was a kid. The owner
suggests that I rent a dolly (sp?) and tow it back instead
of driving it since I'm not familiar with the car. Could any of you
E-type's out there give me some advice? Should I attempt to drive
it back? The car has had mostly all the mechanicals overhauled
less than 3000 miles ago and the engine was redone to stock specifications.
I'd appreciates any replies.

Best Wishes
Zahid