Team engineering

To: britcars@red4est.felton.ca.us
Subject: Team engineering
From: lrc@red4est.felton.ca.us
Date: Fri Jul 24 10:51:49 PDT 1992
I wasn't sure if bottle jacks would work upside down.  If they don't
my original assembly could simply be turned upside down, assuming the
motor is out of the car.  Actually it could anyways, but turning a
whole car upside down can lead to all sorts of other bothers.

It also occurs to me that something should be done to distribute the
load across the piston being pushed.  Perhaps use a junk piston from
the same type of motor.  At this point I forgot what the engine is
out of, I think that it is a Land Rover.  If used L.R. pistons are
not lying about easy to obtain, maybe a piston from another car with
a similar bore.  Just make sure not to use two convex pistons.

It may be helpfull to keep the rod on the "tool piston" to give
the ram something to push against.  If you are worried about the
rod moving with force applied, fill the piston with molten lead or
something.

Rather than trying to find bolts to fit the upper plate into the
head, we can go with Darens Idea, use another plate across the
bottom, Drill several holes in it and hold it to the first plate
with lengths of threaded rod.  This would probably be easier to
find than Bolts of the same thread as the head studs, and also
usefull for later projects, such as spring compressors.

Of course, by the time all is said and done, it would probably
be easier and cheaper to sacrifice the pistons that are in there.
If the rings are seriously rusted to the bores the cylinder may
need a rebore anyways, which means... new pistons.

On the other hand, if we keep this up we can devise a contraption
that would do Mr. Goldberg Proud.

Larry "We can hook a squirrel runner up to an eccentric cam to
pump the jack, and drop either nuts or a cat in front of the
squirells..." Colen